Thursday 5 May 2011

Filo creme fraiche tarts! Woohoo!!

I had some filo and creme fraiche spare while cooking up some delights for my niece's second birthday, and I came up with these.

I made this in a yorkshire pudding tray.

You will need: Ready made filo pasty, a tub of creme fraiche, some apricot jam, frozen summer fruits, vanilla extract/seeds, caster sugar, and lemon rind.

Firstly you need to make the filo nests. In order to do this you need to brush butter over the yorkshire pudding tray. Cut the filo in to small squares, and layer the pastry on to the mould. Every layer of pastry needs to be brushed with butter. Layer them so they evenly cover the mould. I scrunched up the over hang to create a little nest shape.

Bake these in the oven for around five minutes at 180 degrees until they are crisp and golden.

For the filling, put some apricot jam and a little bit of water in a saucepan, and warm it until it is liquid. Pour a little bit of it in to every pastry nest.

Next mix half a small tub of creme fraiche with some lemon rind, a little bit of vanilla essence, and add icing sugar to taste. I didn't make mine very sweet.

Spoon the creme fraiche mixture on to the nests, and finally decorate with frozen summer fruits, or whatever fruit you have handy really.

The magic with the frozen fruit is as they defrost they release their juices which soaks in to the creme fraiche.

They take about half an hour, they are easy, and taste amazing.

I can't bake, but I made these!

No comments:

Post a Comment