Wednesday 18 May 2011

Tofu

 Tofu is boring. I don't want to think it's boring anymore so I have been on a mission to make tofu tasty! I love it from the Chinese, and wanted to have something similar at home, but much healthier! The texture of this was spot on, I think I will play around with different marinades though. Maybe next time I will marinade them in sweet chilli sauce or something.

I want tofu to be a big part of my diet, so I am also looking at cooking it in other ways that aren't just Asian inspired. If you hate tofu, you should try this!

First I cut my tofu block in half so there were two slices. I put some kitchen towels on a plate, placed the tofu on top, and put more kitchen towels on top.
Then I put a plate with three or four cans of food on top. This is to squeeze out all the moisture.

I left it for about four hours. You can leave it for less if you don't have time!

I then  took the kitchen towels away, and put the tofu in the freezer. When they are frozen, take them out of the freezer and repeat the first process of putting kitchen towels and weighing them down. I left this for another three hours. The texture if much firmer now. I then placed the tofu in a bowl, with one teaspoon of olive oil, some crushed pepper, smoked paprika, oregano and salt. I left this in the fridge over night.

I served it by frying them quite quickly with no oil (there was oil in the marinade, and it was a non stick pan) I served it with some fried vegetables.

I will be trying this method with other types of marinade soon. The texture was lovely. I am looking forward to having tofu in my life!

I know this is a long process, but you don't have to be in the kitchen for most of it, and it really is worth it.
The tofu was 4 points (half a pack of cauldron tofu), the marinade was one point and I served with one point of sweet chili sauce! So only six points for this beauty!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment